Years ago (and I mean decades ago, when I was in my teens:) I took private tennis lessons in my hometown, and had a sweet, energetic and positive tennis teacher named Tammy. Tammy taught me one of the most valuable lessons that I have EVER learned in my life, and it had nothing to do with tennis.
One morning, at the start of my 7am lesson, I looked across the court at Tammy, and just marveled at how she was cheerfully and energetically striding across the court, so early in the morning. No complaints, no saying: "I'm not a morning person" but instead just so.....consistent and positive. At 17 years of age, I knew enough to know that this was not the norm, and most people had much more varying moods than she......so I asked her, how are you always in such a good mood?
Her answer surprised me.....she said she wasn't always, but that she worked hard to maintain a positive exterior, and by being positive on the outside, she was actually able to shift some of the feelings on the inside. She said it was important for her to be the same, consistent person for her work and daily life, in order to get the most done. I have always remembered this, and it was such a valuable lesson. Of course I'm free to feel what I feel, but there is a time and a place for everything....and when you are working to help someone else with something, it's important to make that time theirs, instead of focusing on you. :) Of course some days it's more difficult than others, but it's amazing how much other people will appreciate your consistently good attitude in life.
Friday, October 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment