After my first fitness competition, I looked at my abs and wished they were a little defined and athletic looking like some of the other girls who were competing. I hadn't been training hard for the competition for long, and I had more of a "pilates body" as opposed to the more defined, and slightly more muscular competition body. For something like this, you might want to add more ab training, to really define, and even build a little....
For the average woman who just wants to look great in clothes, and have sexy, firm abs......total body exercises and a clean, balanced diet are much more efficient that doing exercises which focus on the abs. Squats, dead lifts, rows, snatches, sprints, pull ups, push ups, dips, lunges, kettlebell swings and plyometrics will burn way more fat and calories, as opposed to working the small group which is your abs.
The other day in the gym, I saw a man doing at least an hour of ab exercises, and I would have loved to tell him to get off the floor and do some of the things I mentioned, with a minute of jumping rope in between, because he was a longggggg way from his goal, and not any closer with that workout. Work smarter not harder!
Most of us actually have a great set of abs, but we need to deal with the body fat which is hiding them! Concentrate on lowering your body fat, and you'll be pleasantly surprised to see a great set of abs underneath!
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Yes, bodyfat is absolutely key in having defined abs. For building larger more muscular abs though I've found what works best for me is weighted ab work, but this isnt for everyone.
Great post, Green Acres!
Anonymous......I totally agree with both:)
Ryan, I'm totally using your words with the work smarter, not harder thing and it's SOOOOOOO true!
I agree....i used to think that only cardio....or only a million sit ups would do....but it has to be a mix.....and balanced diet.....bonds them all together....
Thank you Meg for reminding me...and keepin' me focused!!! You and your ABS ROCK;)
besos!!!!!!
Maria
Hey Maria! A mix, and also some added resistance training if you want to be tight:)! Too many sit ups just won't do! xoxo
Hey guys, this post is not mine, it's from Stephen P.....and I deleted it because well, I thought it was mean.....but realize this is a discussion....so I'm reposting....and also my response.
A few questions:
1. What's the best way to tell someone that they have horrible BO at the gym? Right now, I just cover my face with a towel and make strange faces when I walk by them. Will that work? Please advise.
2. Sometimes girls wearing tight pants will wrap a longsleeve shirt around their waist (or maybe "waste" in this case) to cover their butts. My thoughts are - only wear tight pants if you've got a decent butt. Otherwise, stick to the sweats. (Side note: shout out to LuluLemon - you've done almost as much for the butt as a good pair of heels). Am I wrong for thinking this?
3. Is it okay to laugh at people who are just going through the motions at the gym? I hate when people aren't trying. How should I handle this situation?
4. Should guys wear gloves when they lift? I think soft hands are for girls. I don't wear gloves when I chop wood and build houses, why should I wear them when I work out.
5. Do girls check out guys at the gym? If yes, I should probably bust out my wrestling singlet from college. Worked then. Will work now.
6. Can you tell all of your readers that the only place a guy should be naked in the men's locker room is in front of his locker and in the shower. Nowhere in between. (Side note: Girls are allowed to be naked anywhere in the gym).
Great blog!!
I personally wouldn't tell them.
I think that people who accept their bodies if they aren't perfect are great, they should wear whatever feels good!;)
if you're really focused on your workout and working hard, you won't have the focus, or energy to laugh at someone.
Gloves allow you to lift more efficiently and stronger.
I personally don't like when people talk to me during my workout, I'm in the zone....and there to train.
Locker rooms do have a lot of naked people, a friend of mine used to change at home to avoid this. It doesn't really bother me.
Post a Comment