Sunday, May 16, 2010

Carbs, carbs and how they fit into getting lean:)


Me in the middle of the mess that was my hotel room in California:)  Oh and sooooo tired, and clearly needing carbs after the two hours I spent shopping!  Noooo really!
These days it seems like everyone has become a little afraid of carbs....or.....all they eat are carbs, and their diets lack the protein that they need to stay lean.   There needs to be some sort of a balance, where there is variety in your diet.....eating the same boring things day in a day out is enough to drive any of us into a snickers (or whatever is your preferred crash and burn!) filled food overload.  When you constantly deprive your body for too long, there will be a day when the proverbial dam breaks....and you eat anything, and everything!

When I am working towards getting leaner ( and yes, I go in phases.....so often times I am) I focus on protein, fruits and vegetables for most of my meals, and usually only have a serving of carbs at breakfast, and for the meal right after my workout to speed up my recovery:)

For carbs I usually choose things that are less refined:

Oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta and bread and sweet potatoes.

I stay away from: white sugar, white bread, white rice, sugary cereal......

When I am as lean as I want to be I usually have a small serving of carbs 4 times a day.  Carbs can be a bit of a slippery slope for me.  To a point, I feel great when I add them into my diet....but too much, or too refined....and I go overboard!

3 comments:

Ruby said...

hi Megan love your blog! I am at the point where I am as lean as I want to be and trying to decide about carbs. I do what you do right now is have my starchy carbs around breakfast and after my workout. When you say you have a small serving 4 times a day. How much is a small serving..example 1/4 cup 1/2 cup. Thanks so much for your help!

Megan said...

Hi Ruby, thank you for the compliment! It makes me happy to hear that you enjoy reading my blog. The serving size varies, but I usually make it 4-6 oz of sweet potato, one slice of wheat bread, or 1/4 cup steel cut oats (dry) which I prepare according to the package. Don't be afraid of healthy carbs (in moderation) they speed up your recovery, and make your diet so much more fun. It's my pleasure to help:)

Ruby said...

Thanks Megan so much!

Post a Comment