I've been doing a lot of strength training and within past 9-10 weeks I lost about 12lb and build up my muscles and slowly I am seeing an OUTLINE of a six pack YAY. I can run a lot faster and longer because of strength training. Now my questions to you is...now matter how many push ups I do...I can't do pull ups without cheating. What do you suggest?
My answer: First of all, great job with the weight training! I told you you'd love it!!! Is it okay to say I told you here??:) Push ups aren't going to help you much because the movement plane is actually quite different......however, there are a few ways that you can make your body stronger, and then you will be able to do a pull up! Just so you all know, pull ups are done with palms facing away from you:)
1. If your gym has one, use the assisted pull up machine. This is actually a good option, and although I always prefer free weights to machines, it will get you started...and stronger.
2. Do lat pull downs with a cable. This will also strengthen the muscles you'll be using...
3. Do negatives. Use a bench, or step that has enough height, or if you are feeling super tough and renegade that day, jump up.....and only do the portion of the exercise where you lower yourself down.
Ok, my last bit of advice.....wear gloves! I wouldn't even bother to attempt a pull up without throwing on gloves first, you'll have a much, much better grip. When you finally master the pull up, you will be doing one of the most effective exercises there is:)
Stay gorgeous!


5 comments:
Thanks Megan!!! Yes, it's OK to say I told you so here :)
Looking forward to gym tomorrow to experiment with my new knowledge...oh and guess what shopping for gloves tomorrow!!!
You are the best!
Love your posts Megan! This bride-to-be needs to hit the weights. I need to get motivated!
You're welcome Svetlana, you will love wearing gloves...makes a huge difference, and a darn cute accessory too!
Emily,
Time to start! Your back and arms will look flawless in your dress!:)
Great post, as doing pullups is one of my goals! How many pullups can you do, Megan?
Thanks!
Hey! I haven't been doing pull ups for a while, I think the last time they were in my workout I could do 8-10:)
Post a Comment